Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Malbec (Red Wine)

I love the convenience of the slow cooker but I do not care for the sodium content by using cream of mushroom soup etc. Sadly many of todays recipes call for the can of soup. I have tried many recipes over the years and adjusted them and this is the result. Please do use the wine, most of the alcohol dissipates with the cooking.

Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Malbec (Red Wine) Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning

  • 1 tablespoon salt

  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary

  • 1 (2 1/2 pound) beef roast, or more to taste

  • 1 (1 ounce) packet dry au jus mix

  • 1 (1 ounce) package French onion soup mix

  • 1 cup water

  • 1 cup Malbec red wine

How to Make Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Malbec (Red Wine)

  1. Combine steak seasoning, salt, thyme, and rosemary together in a bowl; rub onto the roast.

  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and place roast in skillet; cook until roast is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.

  3. Place the roast in the slow cooker and add au jus mix and onion soup mix. Pour water and Malbec over roast.

  4. Cook on High for 5 hours (or cook in Low for 8 to 9 hours).

Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Malbec (Red Wine) Nutritions

  • Calories: 350 calories

  • Carbohydrate: 8.5 g

  • Cholesterol: 86.1 mg

  • Fat: 21.1 g

  • Fiber: 0.9 g

  • Protein: 22.7 g

  • SaturatedFat: 8.4 g

  • ServingSize:

  • Sodium: 3076.2 mg

  • Sugar: 0.5 g

  • TransFat:

  • UnsaturatedFat:

Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Malbec (Red Wine) Reviews

  • A FABULOUS dish Whatever would a dish be without the balance of flavor and decadence? Hence, the answer was found here amidst the array of lightly fine fresh seasonings utilized.. creating a saucy, delicate POT ROAST dripping roast with tender flavour I applaud this recipe which simmered into reminiscing savory entree, causing satiety with a light texture WALLAH.. and there you have it, a perfect meal Thank You

  • This was one of the best pot roasts Ive ever made, but there are several factors that affect that comment. I used an Angus chuck roast which is the very best. I used the ingredients and quantities as listed EXCEPT I omitted the salt. I read a review that said she cut the Montreal seasoning in half because it was too salty; I chose to leave the Montreal alone and eliminate the salt. I had jug Burgundy, so I used it. I sprayed the roast before applying the rub mixture and browned it really well in a sprayed pan on my gas grill (to avoid a mess in the kitchen). When I transferred the meat to the cooker, I added the liquids to the pan Id used on the grill and scraped up all of the seasonings so as not to leave all of that flavor behind. It is wonderful and Ive reduced the liquid in a pot, added mushrooms and served it over mashed potatoes

  • Very easy to make, loved it.Added to my favourite.Thanks

  • Full of Flavor Amazing. my husband told me he wanted a pot roast. I found this recipe and followed everything EXCEPT for the salt. After reading everyones reviews I didnt add salt. the Montreal steak seasoning has enough. I also added red potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms to the pot. so I did add a little extra wine and water with half an extra packet of au ju sauce so i had enough gravy with all the sides. I cooked a 3 1/2lb roast for 8 people. Everyone loved it. DELICIOUS

  • I tried this tonight and it was an absolute HIT with the family My kids are very picky eaters so I was a little scared that they wouldnt like it. Well they loved it I didnt change anything and it came out great Thanks

  • So tasty I added potatoes and onions and carrots and extra wine - my husband loved it Thank you for sharing, its our familys new favorite

  • This is a great recipe The meat gets perfectly cooked and then you can turn the drippings into a very flavorful gravy. My only change is that I cut the rub amount in half. I made it before with the full amount and it was way too salty. Cutting it in half was just about right. Loved it

  • This has great potential, but the salt content made this almost inedible. I followed the recipe exactly, but I think Ill have to tweak it to make it work.

  • Turned out great It did smoke the kitchen a bit when I was browning it but whats cooking without a little smoke? I did omit the salt and it was plenty salty enough. I also cooked it on top potatoes, carrots and onion.

  • Absolutely amazing I substitute cabernet sauvignon since thats my favorite wine. To cut fat, Ive used a large pork tenderloin as well and the family loved it. I substituted beef gravy mix bc I didnt have au jus on hand. Also, added carrots, potatoes and celery occasionally. I didnt add extra salt but did add garlic and onion powder to taste. I wouldnt skip the browning step Best roast Ive ever made

  • I made this slow cooker pot roast this morning and it was ready in 7 hours. That part was great Very tender and smelled fabulous as well when we walked in the door eagerly anticipating our dinner. Here was the down side . Use either none or very very little salt. The Au Jus mix and French Onion soup has plenty of salt Adding the tablespoon full required in the recipe, made it way too salty Otherwise it was very flavorful

  • Oh my gosh this is so freaking good Definitely my go-to recipe from now on

  • This was very good. As I did not have the Montreal seasoning I used instead a prime rib rub. The prime rib rub contains rosemary already and I added thyme to it as the recipe suggests. I rubbed seasoning on to 2.5 lbs roast. I seared the meat on all sides in Olive oil. I cut up potatoes carrots onions and celery and added those to the crock pot. I place the meat into the crock pot adding the au jus and onion mix. I poured Cabernet sauvignon over the top of the roast. I also used one can of beef consume. One cup of water. Cooked on high for 4 hrs. Made a quick roux in a saucepan and added broth from the crockpot until I got the thickness of gravy I desired.

  • I did what everybody does and made a lot of changes. I should have stuck with the main recipe. I started with a 2 and 1/2 pound chuck roast. I sprayed my crockpot with cooking oil and placed sliced onions on the bottom. I seasoned my roast as per the recipe, but then I floured and browned it in a skillet. I placed the roast in my crock pot, added potatoes and carrots. Although the roast was tender and juicy and the veggies cooked to perfection, I did not care for the overall flavor at all. It could have been because of the wine I used. Maybe the Malbec would have made a big difference. I wont try it again. There are too many other good pot roast recipes that I will try until I find the perfect one for me.

  • Used chuck roast, a healthy tablespoon of homemade Ranch Mix, Au juice packet and a cup of Burgundy cooking wine/water. Slow six hours, added carrots, celery and potatoes, cooked high for two hours. Fantastic.

  • Freakin awesome. Only change, less salt

  • Followed the recipe. Excellent gravy. Everyone loved it.

  • Very good recipe. I took the eye out ( mentioned in a different recipe) and cut the seasoning in half. Added root vegetables (onions) and so I also cut the onion soup in half. It was flavorful and not to salty.

  • This was incredible Its even good cold and is our new pot roast recipe, knocking out the previous one that we used for 30 years. Just be sure to use kosher salt instead of regular or it will be too salty.

  • Made it exactly by the recipe. My wife absolutely loved it. A little on the salty side, but fantastic taste overall.

  • Added parsnips, carrots, fingerling potatoes and sweet potatoes along with onion.

  • This was so easy to make and absolutely delicious I always read reviews so I did what many did and left out the salt. I added sweet onions to the bottom as well as baby carrots. I also copied someone and added an additional half package of Au Jus Sauce with some water to ensure I would have enough gravy. I think I would have had plenty had I not done that. I also used Pinot Noir as that was all I had - still delicious I passed this recipe along to some friends who had it last night. They thought the same - DELICIOUS - as did their guests Thank you for an easy, YUMMY recipe

  • Followed the recipe to the T aside from using just over 4lbs of meat so I had to double up on the ingredients. Awesome flavors and a recipe thats very flexible as far as steak seasoning and the wine. Adjust salt to taste, between the steak seasoning and added salt for the rub theres quite a bit if youre needs require less salt.

  • Will definitely make it again It was perfect

  • This is a delicious pot roast Came out so tender and flavorful, not too salty. The only substitute I made was to use a beef bullion cube instead of the aus jus mix, I dissolved a 2cup cube into the cup of water. YUMMY

  • I followed the recipe exactly. I made no substitutions. I found it to be too salty. Spices were overwhelming. I will not make again.

  • One of my families favorite "comfort food" recipes We serve it with the sauce from the pan drippings, mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. Delicious

  • I added a little bit more wine as we like a lot of sauce. The next day, I used the juices and added flour to make more of a gravy and put it over rice.

  • My Family loved it even my picky daughter I will make it again.

  • I always make recipes twice (especially if I think there has been a mistake) in this case the recipe called for 1 TBS of dried Thyme. That is a whole lot of a very strong herb It literally gave it an earthy (more like dirt) flavor. The second time I used 1/4 teaspoon Thyme....much better and we loved it, easy to make too. The dog ate the first one for a week, would have given it a 5 too.

  • Amazing...

  • Very good

  • I made this minus the salt. I enjoyed it but it was still salty. montreal seasoning, onion soup and the au jus are all loaded with salt. I will make this again minus the extra salt and the au jus.

  • Turned out great. I omitted the salt based on the other reviews, and added mushrooms to the recipe. Will make again.

  • Excellent recipe, I added potatoes, celery and carrots to fill it out but the Au Jus and onion soup mix (a bit of corn starch mix at the end) really gave it good body

  • My hubby and I loved this recipe The roast was moist and tender and the gravy was so flavorful and looked so rich and deep in color. I eliminate the salt as there is plenty in the other seasonings. I served the roast over polenta and petite peas. Delicious This one is a keeper

  • This was so good and really easy. I decided I would not put the salt next time. We drank the rest of the Malbec with the meal and it was SO good

  • Do not cook this pot roast for 5 hours unless you want your meat over done and all dried out. Only cook for about 2 hrs for tender succulent beef.

  • I also cut the salt in half and it was just fine. I added vegetables (potatoes and carrots). Family enjoyed it and I will be making it again.

  • Added parsnips, carrots, fingerling potatoes and sweet potatoes along with onion.

  • This is hands down the best pot roast recipe of all time, its the G.O.A.T of all pot roasts. Thats a sports reference Dont change a thing with the recipe...

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: