Saturday, February 4, 2023

Always A Winner Potato Salad

This is a wonderful, light potato salad which includes shrimp. My mother used to make this for every picnic or potluck dinner. Every time I take it to a potluck I get raves for it, and the recipe is always requested. You may need to adjust the amount of mayo, depending on the size of the potatoes you use. You will use at least 2 cups, but may need to use a little more for a nice consistency.

Always A Winner Potato Salad Ingredients

  • 10 large baking potatoes, scrubbed

  • 12 eggs

  • 3 bunches green onions, chopped

  • 6 dill pickles, chopped

  • 1 (4 ounce) can shrimp

  • 1 (4 ounce) can small shrimp, drained

  • 2 cups low-fat mayonnaise

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • 2 tablespoons celery salt

  • 2 tablespoons paprika

How to Make Always A Winner Potato Salad

  1. Place potatoes in a large pot, and cover with water. Boil until soft. Remove from water; set aside to cool. Peel, and then chop into bite size chunks.

  2. Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil for one minute. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Peel, and chop.

  3. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, green onions, dill pickles, and cans of shrimp. Mix in mayonnaise, celery salt, and paprika. Season to taste with salt an ground black pepper. Chill for 2 hours, and serve.

Always A Winner Potato Salad Nutritions

  • Calories: 359.1 calories

  • Carbohydrate: 60.5 g

  • Cholesterol: 218.3 mg

  • Fat: 6 g

  • Fiber: 9 g

  • Protein: 18.3 g

  • SaturatedFat: 1.8 g

  • ServingSize:

  • Sodium: 1287.8 mg

  • Sugar: 4.6 g

  • TransFat:

  • UnsaturatedFat:

Always A Winner Potato Salad Reviews

  • I felt there was too much paprika. It left the salad a strange color. I will not make this again.

  • My husband has always raved about his mothers potato salad and I have never been able to come close. Well this year he found a new favorite. I left the eggs out because he has never been fond of hard boiled eggs but it still turned out really well. I just went a bit easier on the mayonaise. I did cut back on the paprika because of other suggestions and it still gave it a nice color and flavor. I think they were right about halfing the amount. I also used frozen salad shrimp (a whole bag) it was more than the recipe called for but due to the lack of eggs I figured I had room for some give. It turned out nice. I also added some chopped celery. You can alter this recipe to your tastes and it still turns out great. What more can you ask for?

  • Hey Debi,Was very anxious to try your recipe. Unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations. The cost of adding 2 cans of shrimp and the fact that you wouldnt even know they were there, was not good. Also, too much celery salt and pickles for my taste. Sorry, but I did not enjoy this.

  • This is the best potato salad ever...i dont use the full amount of paprika though, I dont like the funny colour it makes when you do. Other than that it is great. Made it when friends came over and they raved and my husband always asks for it. Definately a keeper.

  • Alright, here we go. I read all of the reviews of this recipe, took them all into account, then ended up making the recipe exactly as written, anyway, and heres what I came up with. Yes, theres alot of paprika, but I like paprika, and the odd color only adds intrigue. Yes there are alot off eggs, and pickles, and yes, an abudence of celery salt, and Ill give you that you dont really get a strong shrimp taste. But Put all of those factors together, throw em all in a bowl, and add two, (yes, two) cups of mayo, and youve got yourself a potato salad thats off-beat, mysterious, and strangely unimitable. At the end, my guests were eating directly out of the bowl. Yum.

  • Wonderful dish, my mom loves shrimp and she loved this. I added a bit of parsley and garlicthough to add some of my favorite flavors to is. GOOD JOB

  • Delicious Everyone loved it Best recipe I have tried for potato salad.

  • I made this recipe for a work function, 6 months later, my coworkers are still talking about it I highly recommend it (I put a note beside the dish stating that it had shrimp in case anyone had a shellfish allergy)

  • My husband who always compare my cooking to his mothers cook said that I should make this salad hundreds times more. He loves it, and that is compliment Thanks for the recipe.Ayu

  • This is a lovely potato salad recipe. I didnt use all the mayonnaise called for (only 1-1/2 cups) and used sweet pickles instead of dill. The shrimp is a nice addition, although it could be left out and not suffer . . . some in my family dont prefer it. This is a very large salad, so make sure its for a hungry crowd

  • Excellent potato salad. Even better the next day. As with others I cut the paprika in half and everything else was wonderful. Had 4 people comment that it was the best potato salad they had ever had.

  • INSTEAD OF TINY SHRIMP,I USED MEDIUM SHRIMP AND A PACK OF COOK BACON, CUT UP IN MY SHRIMP SALAD AND SWEET PICKLES INSTEAD OF DILL PICKLES.

  • We werent thrilled with this. I think cutting the celery salt and paprika in half and adding some garlic powder might help, but dont think I will try this again.

  • I made this for Easter and it is a very different kind of taste. I thought it was ok although some did like it.

  • I tried this recipe for my class gathering BBQ potluck. And it was a hit among friends, some asked for the recipe so they could impress their boyfriends n parents =)... i left out the dill pickles, paprika and celery salt coz i got the ingredients in a hurry and the salad came out fine Agree to the fact on halfing the salt and pepper and the servings is a little too much for a salad... other than that this recipe is GreaT

  • Loved it I used frozen, jumbo shrimp instead of the canned because I think it has more flavor and several reviews complained you could not taste the shrimp. I just steamed the shrimp and chopped coursely so there were pretty large chunks in it. I definitely could taste the shrimp, but I only used half the paprika and ommitted the celery salt because I didnt have any. I also made my potato dices very, very tiny. I also used regular white onion instead of green scallion, I will try it with the green next time, but it was still very delicious.

  • Good salad but a bit bland. Like others, I cut the paprika & celery salt in half and only used 4 pickles. Also added another 4oz can of shrimp to liven it up. Was a hit w/ the family.

  • The potato salad was very tasty, but the recipe called for too much paprika. The potato salad was a strange brownish color because of the amount of paprika. Several people asked me what kind of salad it was because of the color. Once they tasted it though, they didnt seem to mind

  • This is a great potato salad I also reduced the celery salt and paprika, increased the mayo, and substituted imitation crab meat for the shrimp. Yum

  • This dish took a while to prepare but was worth it. I took it to an office covered dish party & it was a real hit Diane

  • If this tastes half as good after being chilled, yummy.

  • Pretty tasty but was somewhat disappointed compared to the other reviews and the "interesting" color. Makes a LOT as a salad; would recommend scaling recipe in half (who eats a large potato+++ as a salad). Overall will make again.

  • Great- but please, please change this picture.... doesnt make the salad look very appetizing.... just a suggestion

  • Way too much paprika and celery salt. Instead of 2 Tbl. of each, maybe it should be 1 Tbl. of each.

  • Your the best Good Job*

  • Ill go back to my own potato salad recipe which Ive made for 40 years. Similar to this recipe, I put in generous amounts of chopped dill pickle, some chopped onion, eggs; bind it together with Miracle Whip-type salad dressing - and I always get compliments. However, last night, not one of the 8 guests said a word about Always a Winner Potato Salad, and certainly nobody had seconds. I followed the recipe to a tee. You just cant taste the shrimp, and I used more than called for in the recipe. Its a waste of shrimp - I wanted to like it but wont bother again.

  • Well, not bad, rather easy and quick to prepare.It is particularly a good choice of salad forbusy working people like me ...

  • I made this salad for a Memorial Day picnic and had four people ask for the recipe. Its not just your average potato salad, its really unique and very tasty with picnic foods. A big hit

  • I really like the mix of pickles and green onions. I put bacon in instead of shrimp the first time I made it, and in the second time I made it, I did not add either bacon or shrimp and it was still good. The size of the potato pieces I think make or break the salad. I cut them reasonably small the first time so every bite had a real mix of flavours. The second time, my husband did the potatoes and cut them in fair size chunks so many times, one just got a bite full of potato which wasnt very exciting.

  • What a nice twist to an old friend I thought it was very good

  • Super satisfying

  • Great potato salad.reminds me of one that is served in our local Basque restaurants.

  • Its alright. A little boring I thought.

  • I have never been able to find an excellent potato salad recipe until now. It is very easy to make and with or without the shrimps it is a success

  • Perfect

  • I made this for a picnic a while back but forgot to post, Nonetheless I really liked how well it went. It goes well at potlucks I did have to add a bit more mayo and There were some concerns with the color (paprika turned it reddish) it was liked by others all around. thanks for the recipe.

  • I took a lot of liberty with this recipe. I made it a while ago for a picnic, so I cannot remember off hand exactly what I added/left out. I was excited to try it because I had never thought to add shrimp or pickles to potato salad. I even used a bag of full-sized shrimp, but their taste was pretty much masked by all the other strong flavors, so I probably wont waste money for shrimp in potato salad in the future. I did, however, love the taste/crunch added by the dill pickles and I will make a habit of using them in potato salad in the future.

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: